Sunday, January 20, 2008

You Know You've Been in the 'Hood to Long...

The 'hood is like no other place on earth. It has its good and bad qualities. Its no paradise- it is what it is. Some folks work their whole lives to get out of the 'hood...but even so, I'm reminded of the saying, "you can take the boy out of the 'hood, but you can't take the 'hood out of the boy." Trust me, I know alot of folks with alot of hood still left in them and there's nothing wrong with it. But remember just because you moved out, doesn't mean that you don't still have some hood tendencies. Read this list and see how many of these things apply to you:

You know you've been in the 'hood too long if:

...you prefer to eat your frosted flakes with grape Kool-aid instead of milk.

...one of your goals in life is to be someone's "baby mama" or "baby daddy", but not spouse.

...if you've ever listed your child's mother or father on a form and wrote "baby daddy" or "baby mama" down for relation.

...if you think its acceptable to wear your shower cap outside of your house.

...if you think Alize, and Mercedes are cute baby names.

...if you want to be buried in your favorite Roc-A-Wear outfit and your wave cap.

...if you've ever eaten a condiment sandwhich (you know...mayonaise, syrup, ketchup.)

...if you stop by random churches in your hood when there's a funeral just to make sure it isn't somebody you know

(...you stay at that funeral even after you find out it isn't someone you know.)

...if you don't see anything wrong with throwin 20inch rims and tires on a 1986 Grand Am

...if you plan on wearing Air Force Ones with your Tux on your wedding day.

...if you've ever quit a job or started a fight because you, "didn't like the way someone looked at you."

...if you have a X-Box 360, Playstation 3 or Wii (or more than one of them) but no computer in your house.

And the number one way to tell if you've been in the 'hood too long is if...
...you actually think "conversate" is a real word.


See y'all next week...

7 comments:

Eb the Celeb said...

Not related to the post at all but had to show you some love since your a fellow cowboy fan!

We gon get them next year... I can feel it... with them finally starting Barber in our last game and having 11 guys make the pro bowl... I know 2008 is going to be our season!

GO COWBOYS!!!

lea78 said...

I am guilty of a couple of those, not the major ones though. you know u been in the hood to long when you pull yo lazy boy out to your front porch. true story I saw this right here in the hood of st. louis

Just Kel said...

I still love a mayo sandwich and I think I was in the 9th grade before I realized conversate was not a real word and I got mad that it's not!

mp1 said...

Damn, I'm feelin that sucka free list to the side....Y couldn't I think of some ish like that??

Damn, I guess I'm really not hood!!! Grape kool-aid with Frosted Flakes???? Ppl really do that? I don't even drink Kool-aid no more. I can't front though...I done smashed a syrup sandwich when I was younger. And I was known for rocking them durags outside the house...never a sshower cap though. I done seen plenty ppl do it though. lol

Not Your Average Male said...

You know I'm loving the "conversate" comment, right? LMAO!! Great blog

blac.sapphic said...

Lol, back in the day how you looked at somene said a lot ...shoo, it still does.

I've started my fair share of fist fights over a glance 1 second too long for my tastes. Luckily for most, with age comes maturity ...and a growing out of hood qualities.

bless

Eb the Celeb said...

just making sure you alight over here sis... its been a while!

Did you see that we finally got rid of that bum Julius Jones... Cowboys definitely going all the way now that Barber doesnt have to share time with him. We gotta lock Barber down though for at least 6 more years... I hope it all works out!